I'm currently an assistant professor of sociology the University of British Columbia. See this Q&A I did with UBC Sociology for more on my research, teaching, and what I hope to accomplish at UBC.
Previously, I was an assistant professor at Northeastern University, where I was core faculty at the NULab for Text, Maps, and Networks, a faculty affiliate at the Network Science Institute, and was on the executive committee of the Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program.
I'm currently on the editorial board of Sociological Methodology and an associate editor at EPJ Data Science.
- Nelson, Laura K., Rebekah Getman, and Syed Arefinul Haque. 2021 (online first). "And the Rest is History: Measuring the Scope and Recall of Wikipedia’s Coverage of Three Women’s Movement Subgroups." Sociological Methods & Research.
- Nelson, Laura K. 2021. “Cycles of Conflict, a Century of Continuity: The Impact of Persistent Place-Based Political Logics on Women’s Movement Form.” American Journal of Sociology 127 (1): 1-59.
- Nelson, Laura K. 2021. “Leveraging the Alignment between Machine Learning and Intersectionality: Using Word Embeddings to Measure Intersectional Experiences of the Nineteenth Century U.S. South.” Poetics: 88. Replication Repository.
- Nelson, Laura K. 2020. "Computational Grounded Theory: A Methodological Framework." Sociological Methods and Research 49 (1): 3-42.
Recent and Upcoming Talks:
- January 25, 2022: "Partial Perspectives and Situated Knowledges: Radical Objectivity using Computational Methods." Computational Social Science Forum, hosted by the Computational Social Science Training Program, University of California - Berkeley.
- May 12, 2022: "Cycles of Conflict, a Century of Continuity: Computational Methods and the Longue Durée." University of California - San Diego Sociology Colloquium Series.
Recent Grant Activity:
- Co-PI. National Science Foundation, “Innovation Networks: The Creation and Diffusion of Gender Equity Ideas in Universities” (grant number 2000713), with Kathrine Zippel (co-PI) and Alexander Gates (senior personnel) ($990,931, two years).
Find me on: