I'm an assistant professor of sociology at Northeastern University. I am also core faculty at the NULab for Text, Maps, and Networks, I'm a faculty affiliate at the Network Science Institute, I'm on the executive committee of the Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program, and I'm on the editorial board of Sociological Methodology and Signs.
- Nelson, Laura K. and Brayden King. Forthcoming. “The Meaning of Action: Linking Goals, Tactics, and Strategies in the Environmental Movement.” Mobilization: An International Quarterly.
- Nelson, Laura K. 2020. "Computational Grounded Theory: A Methodological Framework."Sociological Methods and Research 49 (1): 3-42.
- Nelson, Laura K. 2019. Comment: To Measure Meaning in Big Data, Don’t Give Me a Map, Give Me Transparency and Reproducibility. Sociological Methodology 49 (1): 139–143.
- The Computation/Context Trade-Off?
- Nelson, Laura K., Derek Burk, Marcel Knudsen, and Leslie McCall. 2018 "The Future of Coding: A Comparison of Hand-Coding and Three Types of Computer-Assisted Text Analysis Methods." Sociological Methods and Research.
Recent and Upcoming Talks:
- “Leveraging the Alignment between Machine Learning and Intersectionality: Using Word Embeddings to Measure Intersectional Experiences of the Nineteenth Century U.S. South”
- University of Pennsylvania Sociology Colloquium, September 23
- Texas A&M Institute of Data Science, October 2
- Linköping University Institute for Analytical Sociology, October 22
- “The Radical Inductiveness of Machine Learning,” Copenhagen Center for Social Data Science, University of Copenhagen, September 25
- “Pedagogies Of Resistance: Sharing Knowledge As A Political Act,” Consortium for Graduate Studies in Gender, Culture, Women, and Sexuality, August 27 (virtual panel).
- “The Radical Inductiveness of Machine Learning,” The Media Lab Colloquium, Sciences Po, Paris, March 3.
- “The Meaning of Action: Linking Goals, Tactics, and Strategies in the Environmental Movement,” Center for the Study of Law and Society Colloquium, University of California, Berkeley, February 28.
- “Taking the Time: The Gendered Burden of Providing Effective Workplace Evaluations,” University of California, Davis Sociology, February 25.
Recent Grant Activity:
- Co-PI. National Science Foundation, “Innovation Networks: The Creation and Diffusion of Gender Equity Ideas in Universities” (grant number 2000713), with Kathrine Zippel (co-PI) and Alexander Gates (senior personnel) ($990,931, two years).
Find me on: